Monday 7 January 2013

Have a look at a students and parent's opinion on going to university!

What preparations have you done for when you leave college?

Lizzie: I have looked at a couple of apprenticeships and volunteer work abroad. I’ve also looked at some work placements along with some courses at Huddersfield, Manchester Metropolitan, Salford and Westminster University.
Joe: Well I’ve got hold of a few uni’s for information and looked at a couple of applications. I found out that I need to do another year at college and complete a foundation degree before I can apply for the course I want to do at university.
Josh: I’ve started writing my personal statement after looking at a few universities and different student accommodation.

Is university the ultimate route you want to take, or is this just one of many options?

Lizzie: I would really like to go to university but it’s a lot of money so I need to be sure about the career I want to do in the future.
Joe: Definitely want to go to university because a degree is necessary in the industry I want to enter.
Josh: Just want to go to uni because I need a degree to get into the gaming industry.

Is there anything putting  you off going to university?

Lizzie:  I like the fact you can pay back your loans in small instalments, and the fact that there is no guarantee of a job doesn’t really bother me.
Joe: There’s nothing really putting me off because I really want to go to university!
Josh: The accommodation fee is a bit worrying, the fact that I may not have enough to cover it.

 Have you begun a UCAS application? If so, how are you finding it?
Lizzie: Yes I have and it’s quite difficult! The personal statement is the hardest part. Apart from that it’s alright, although it is a lengthy application.
Joe: I haven’t started a UCAS application; I’m planning on doing it next year after finishing my foundation degree at college.
Josh: It’s a long process and requires a lot of effort but I have started it and its necessary!
 
What would you recommend to people in their first of college who are thinking about higher education?


Lizzie: Have an idea of what you want to do early on and make sure you look at loads of different universities to see which would be most suitable for yourself.
Joe: Really look at every degree at every university to ensure you know exactly what you want to do or else it can get very confusing!
Josh: Do all your work in college so that you get good predicted grades which help you get offers from universities.
 
Do you think people who have a degree have an advantage over those who don’t?
Lizzie: Yeah, most workplaces look at degrees so I think having one would help.
Joe: Yes because people with degrees have 3 or 4 years more experience than someone who doesn’t go to uni. This means they have a better chance of getting an interview which gives them a better chance of getting a job.
Josh: In some cases yes, in others no. For example, if you wanted to be an engineer within the gaming industry, you would need the knowledge gained from a degree.
 
Where do you see yourself  in five years’ time?
Lizzie: Hopefully I’ll be in a full time job with a good wage after completing a degree at uni.
Joe: I want to be living in London trying to get into a full time job within the industry I want to be in.
Josh: Finishing uni and looking for a job in an independent gaming company or creating my own.


Here is a short video where a parent was interviewed about their opinions on their child going to university. You may not have thought about it but your parent's will have a strong opinion about you going to university, and it might help to ask them how they feel!

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment